Offset growth animation with falloff and Set Time Sequence

Ask questions about how to achieve specific effects, how to work with certain operators, etc.
ApzzpA

Offset growth animation with falloff and Set Time Sequence

Post by ApzzpA »

Hey Toadstorm,

Following Rick Noseworthy's In Bloom course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Ccta-6YC8

To offset the growth along the branch Rick is using Redshift proxies and s@instancefile using a falloff however I am using Octane which does not use proxies.

So I was wondering how I could achieve this using mops falloff and set time sequence?

Thanks

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Offset growth animation with falloff and Set Time Sequence

Post by toadstorm »

I'm not an Octane expert, but according to https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic ... 01&t=76202 it's possible to directly instance bgeo files using the instancefile attribute, which MOPs supports.

ApzzpA

Post by ApzzpA »

Thanks Toadstorm! I've been using Alembics for each plant animation and then copying to points. I created a mops falloff before my scatter to points and then after the copy to points I use the set time sequence using the mops falloff as the attribute but everything disappears for some reason. I don't suppose you have a hip which demonstrates offsetting animation using a mops falloff?

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

With Alembics you need to enable the sequence length / cycling override and specify the start and end ranges. The included example file "animated_instances.hip" should show you the workflow.

If you're able to post your hip file here I can try to debug it for you. Or email it to me at henry@motionoperators.com if it can't be shared publicly.

ApzzpA

Post by ApzzpA »

So, I tried the bgeo method and that actually works. I don't know why this is more well know vs the redshift proxy version.

I am going to the following a try also as I would like to use this method in future as it is easier to setup i.e a lot less vex

ApzzpA

Post by ApzzpA »

toadstorm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am
If you're able to post your hip file here I can try to debug it for you. Or email it to me at henry@motionoperators.com if it can't be shared publicly.
Still can't seem to get it to work so would absolutely greatly appreciate you taking a look. You have been extremely helpful so far. I will email you as it is a paid course.