Houdini Indie Steam install

Can't get MOPs installed? Ask here.
andybclarke

Houdini Indie Steam install

Post by andybclarke »

Hi,
I have 2 licenses of houdini indie. One is a regular install and one is a steam license. The regular one works fine with MOPS, but the steam version will not work with the exact same procedure. Is there a different location to install for the Steam version?
Thanks
Andy

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Houdini Indie Steam install

Post by toadstorm »

I haven't run Houdini Indie via Steam before, so I'm not sure exactly where it assumes the preferences directory is supposed to be. It may be different with the Steam install than the usual /documents/houdini18.x directory that's used for a typical installation.

To find out where Houdini on Steam is looking for preferences, launch it and open the Python Shell, then type this command:
hou.getenv("HOME")

Houdini will be looking for the "packages" directory inside $HOME/houdini18.x. The MOPs package JSON must be inside that packages directory (create it if it doesn't already exist), and the MOPS variable in that package JSON must be set to the directory that MOPs has been copied to.

andybclarke

Re: Houdini Indie Steam install

Post by andybclarke »

It's working. I think I was being an idiot and checking the tab menu in object context rather than geometry. Ignore!
Thanks for the great work.
Andy