MOPS Typography Error

Errors? Crashes? Unexpected behavior? Please report here. Attach .HIP files whenever possible to help with debugging.
mickstorm

MOPS Typography Error

Post by mickstorm »

So, I'm generating some dynamic text with the typography node. I have a node with a detail attribute that holds the string I want to typography node to use for the text, It works fine, except when the text is really short. Like the letter 'A' or 'The'
So I use this expression in the text field in the typography node:

Code: Select all

`details("../attribpromote3", "title")`
And it almost always works unless its A or The.

If I use that same expression in a regular font sop, it works fine. In the typography sop, if a just add another letter after the expression like this:

Code: Select all

`details("../attribpromote3", "title")` a
It works - it will print 'The A' or 'A A'

When I try to inspect the error, it just says I don't have permission to view it - I'm using Houdini 18.5.408, and latest MOPS+ MOPsPlus_Indie_20210102

Any thoughts?

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: MOPS Typography Error

Post by toadstorm »

Hello!

Sorry about the error reporting; this is a Houdini issue I've been trying to work through with SideFX for a while. It's pretty hard to properly show error reports on blackboxed nodes. Hopefully that can be fixed soon.

Regarding the error you're seeing, I'm not able to reproduce it from here. I'm attaching the simple setup I've built. Is there any chance you can send me your HIP file so that I can see exactly what's going wrong? If you can't post it publicly, you can email it to henry@motionoperators.com.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mickstorm

Post by mickstorm »

Hi, I know this is going to sound odd, but I'm having trouble putting together a hip file because it would require that include a csv with content that I am not allowed share...but I think I might have tracked down the root cause - I am importing a csv with the import table node. If I edit that csv and save it, the problem seems to go away...but before I discovered that, I found that if instead of setting the short word in vex using a string variable, I set the value to an array of one item and then used join to set the attribute as the single string, it also worked? Very weird. If you are super interested maybe I can try to put something together...maybe there is just something in csv that is making it confused, or maybe an encoding issue? Weird that the regular text node doesn't have a problem though..

mickstorm

Post by mickstorm »

Also, I wonder if this might have something to do with it, when I load my file I now get this message:
I wonder if my installation is not correct?

Load warnings for D:/HoudiniProjects/movie1/movie2.hiplc

Warning: "/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Align" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Convert" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Transform_Modifier1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Transform_Modifier" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Convert3" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Convert2" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography3/MOPs_Convert1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Align" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Convert" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Transform_Modifier1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Transform_Modifier" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Convert3" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Convert2" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography2/MOPs_Convert1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Align" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Convert" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Transform_Modifier1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Transform_Modifier" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Convert3" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Convert2" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
"/obj/geo1/MOPs_Typography1/MOPs_Convert1" using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found).
The following node types are using incomplete asset definitions:
MOPS::Sop/MOPS_Convert::1.0
MOPS::Sop/Transform_Modifier::1.1
MOPS::Sop/Align::1.2

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Is there any chance you can send me a sample file with a scrubbed CSV that's using similar formatting to what you were using initially? It sounds like a parsing error, but it's hard to know exactly what to repair without being able to reproduce the error exactly.

Regarding the errors you're seeing, please make sure that you have MOPs 1.3 installed alongside MOPs Plus. If you do have them both installed, my guess is that you're experiencing a known Houdini bug in 18.5.408 that prevents packages from loading properly. If you update to 18.5.415 or higher, or roll back to 18.5.351, that issue should go away.

mickstorm

Post by mickstorm »

Ha, yeah, the problem is when I scrub it, it fixes the error which is why its kind of hard to share it...I think I'm good though...if I figure out exactly what part of the doc is causing the problem, I'll let you know. One other thing, I can't seem to get the typography node to actually create front and back groups...is that a bug or my setuip? I can send an example of that.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

I responded to your email, but for anyone else watching this thread, the extrusion groups in MOPs Typography work fine, but the groups are packed along with the geometry. If you want to use the groups, you either need to unpack, or target the groups using Material Stylesheets.