MOPs_Apply Attributes - How to use it?

Ask questions about how to achieve specific effects, how to work with certain operators, etc.
andyhowell

MOPs_Apply Attributes - How to use it?

Post by andyhowell »

I have a setup using the MOPs explode, and a variety of MOPs transforms together with a MOPs shape falloff.
It's an effect I've done before, but forgotten how to employ the MOPs Apply Attributes node

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/397382266

I've unpacked everything, and then applied a mountain node. The idea being that when the pieces begin to move, the mountain distortion kicks in, only on the pieces affected by the fall off.

Any help or ideas.

Thanks

Andy

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: MOPs_Apply Attributes - How to use it?

Post by toadstorm »

On unpacked geometry, MOPs Apply Attributes works a little like a blend shape. It'll linearly interpolate template point attributes like P, orient, and scale, depending on the value of the falloff attribute.

If you're getting unexpected results, make sure that your points all have a unique id attribute. They likely don't immediately after unpacking. You can use an Enumerate SOP to generate an id attribute on the points.

There's also an example file included with MOPs called "explode_and_curl.hip" which seems to be pretty close to the effect you're showing in that video link.

andyhowell

Post by andyhowell »

Thanks very much for getting back to me. Really appreciate it.
I've just had a look at that example file. Exactly what I'm after.

Going to try to implement that into my setup.

Thanks again

Will let you know

Andy

andyhowell

Post by andyhowell »

It was the mops_falloff on the unpack node that's been catching me out. In the Transfer Attributes section.
Only after I went through your example file node by node.

All working now.

Thanks again.

Great plugin. I'm using it for faux destruction type effects. I think I mentioned this before. Using it in a more VFX pipeline type of way.

Great work, thanks again.

Loads still to learn.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

That's great! I've definitely been trying to emphasize the VFX uses of MOPs lately. I'd love to see the final project whenever you can share it.

andyhowell

Post by andyhowell »

Absolutely.

I'll get some work over to you when it's done.

Thanks again

Andy