Radial Explosion

Ask questions about how to achieve specific effects, how to work with certain operators, etc.
andyhowell

Radial Explosion

Post by andyhowell »

Not sure if anyone knows the answer, or if this is a really simple question.
I've been using the Transform Modifier to give the impression of "pre-broken" geo blasting away in a certain direction.
What I'm trying to achieve is a radial blast-like effect.
So basic setup would be a grid, scatter points(50). Copy to points. Cheap city layout.
Now use Shape Falloff node with a cylinder as the control shape.
Plug that into a MOPs transform modifier and the pieces go in one direction.
I noticed there was an example file (voroni to mops) using the MOPs Reorient node with a sphere which had a sort of effect I was after but didn't seem to work when incorporated into my setup. The radial effect seemed to happen in islands of geo and not the whole thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Radial Explosion

Post by toadstorm »

Try this file out. MOPs Reorient is generally how you'd set this up if you wanted to use a shape to determine the "forward" or Z direction of packed points as you move them. You could also probably get something similar using metaballs and the Magnet SOP, or other deformers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andyhowell

Re: Radial Explosion

Post by andyhowell »

Thanks very much for getting back to me on this. I'll check out the file you sent.

I got somewhere close by doing the same setup you had on your example file explode_and_curl.hip, but instead of the mountain sop I used the explodedview sop, going into a MOPs Apply Attributes. I'll check out the method you have now.

Will try to upload some examples of what I'm doing with it at some point

Thanks again

Andy