Looping Noise Modifier

Ask questions about how to achieve specific effects, how to work with certain operators, etc.
MikeFlexVII

Looping Noise Modifier

Post by MikeFlexVII »

I've been experimenting a lot and haven't been able to suss out if looping noise is possible or how to achieve it.
Any assistance pointing me in the right direction would be lovely.

Thanks in advance :)

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Looping Noise Modifier

Post by toadstorm »

Hey Mike,

Looping noise is definitely possible... what you want are two identical copies of the same noise operation, offset in time. You then ping-pong back and forth on the "weight" between the two noise patterns so that noise2, which is time offset by say, four seconds, has a weight of 1.0 at four seconds into the animation.

I'm attaching an example to show you what I mean. I'd like to add this functionality to the base MOPs Noise Patterns and derived nodes; just need time to figure out how to do it in a flexible way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

I just added preliminary support for looping noise in the latest Experimental build:
https://github.com/toadstorm/MOPS/releases/tag/v1.1.18e

Feel free to give it a shot if you don't want to do it manually.

MikeFlexVII

Post by MikeFlexVII »

Amazing! Downloading and trying it out now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time and efforts with this and MOPs in general.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Anytime! Let me know if it works for you; I haven't really tested the hell out of it just yet but as long as you don't animate the Offset parameters of the noise, it should loop seamlessly for any noise that supports 4-dimensional inputs (most of them aside from sparse convolution I think?)

MikeFlexVII

Post by MikeFlexVII »

I've got the new build installed and I'm still struggling to determine at what point it actually loops and/or how to configure/customize that bit.
Once i figure that out I'm happy to test each noise into the ground for you and report back. Thanks again!

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

If you enable "Time Varying" on the Noise Falloff or Noise Modifier, there should be a parameter enabled called "Looping Noise". You can then set the Period parameter to determine how many seconds it takes for a full cycle.

MikeFlexVII

Post by MikeFlexVII »

Ahhh, yeah I'm not seeing that param in this build for whatever reason

https://imgur.com/a/5ASzKjQ

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Just to be certain, did you download the latest experimental build? You need to either switch from the master branch to the experimental branch on GitHub, or use the MOPs Updater shelf tool to grab the Experimental branch. It should be v1.1.18.

MikeFlexVII

Post by MikeFlexVII »

that very well might be it, just updated through MOPs Updater and will report back