Installing MOP

Can't get MOPs installed? Ask here.
claire560

Installing MOP

Post by claire560 »

Hello, I'm very new to Houdini and Github. When installing the Motion Operators, what install path do you enter in the MOPS.json path variable? I've tried both in the package folder and the folder Houdini itself is installed. Thanks :)

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Installing MOP

Post by toadstorm »

Hi Claire!

You want to point to the path that you installed MOPs to... the root path of MOPs, where the "otls" and "scripts" folders are. Ideally this path should be somewhere outside of the /documents/houdini18.0/ folder.

Then once you've edited and saved the JSON file, copy it to /documents/houdini18.0/packages. If the packages folder doesn't exist, create it manually, then drop the JSON in there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

turtle000

Post by turtle000 »

I am finding installation instructions confusing also. I have the MOPS.json file in the packages folder but after that I don't understand what to do next.

"Then once you've edited and saved the JSON file"

What is meant by "edit" the json file? I can't do anything to this file.

"Ideally this path should be somewhere outside of the /documents/houdini18.0/ folder."

Huh? "Outside?" Shouldn't it be inside /documents/houdini18.0/ folder? Where the packages folder is? Don't understand.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Okay, let me clarify the installation steps...

The MOPs.json package file goes into your packages directory, which is /houdini18.0/packages as you mentioned. What you need to do next is edit MOPs.json in a text editor, and adjust the value of the "MOPS" variable inside from the default path that is listed to the actual path on disk that you placed the MOPs files. The MOPs files (scripts, otls, etc) themselves should not be in your /houdini18.0/ folder, they should be somewhere else.

So for example, if I placed MOPs in C:/Users/Henry/MOPS, then I would edit the "MOPS" variable in my JSON file (in /houdini18.0/packages/) like this:

"MOPS": "C:/Users/Henry/MOPS"

Once that's done, if you boot Houdini and drop down a Geometry container and dive inside, you should be able to create any of the MOPs nodes.

Please let me know if you have any more trouble with the installation.

turtle000

Post by turtle000 »

Thanks so much for the clarification! Its now functioning correctly!

RedWolf

Post by RedWolf »

Hello,

I've tried downloading MOPS with the env. file option and the packages option and both don't work for me.
Here are screenshots of the results of the steps that were described in the read me file.

Thank you for your help,

Screenshot 2023-06-08 192040.png
Screenshot 2023-06-08 192036.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Hi RedWolf,

Can you please show me where on disk you placed the package .JSON file?

Henry

RedWolf

Post by RedWolf »

Hello,

Do you mean this?

Thank you,
Screenshot 2023-06-08 193010.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm »

Okay, that looks right. Can you please also show the contents of your Houdini.env file?

RedWolf

Post by RedWolf »

Here it is.
Screenshot 2023-06-08 193611.png