Curl Modifier - does orient instances really work?

Ask questions about how to do XY using MOPs
rlvelocity

Curl Modifier - does orient instances really work?

Post by rlvelocity » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 pm

First off, MOPS are... fascinating. Thank you.

I am running through all of the tutorials and was curious about the "Orient Instances" option in in the MOPs_Curl_Modifier. When I first turned the option on and off, I was wondering if it was even doing anything. I zoomed in a little closer and saw "oh yeah, I think something moved a micron or two." :lol:

I was hoping it would do something more noticeable like "orient instance along path." So my question would be, is the math working for this as intended? If so, is it possible to make another option that would function more like "orient instance along path" so the instance object would twist and turn with the curl? I'm sure if I were more of a VEXpert, I could figure out an expression that would do this with normals or velocity vectors or something... but I'm not (yet) :oops:

Thanks!

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Curl Modifier - does orient instances really work?

Post by toadstorm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 pm

I'll double check this... it's possible we accidentally broke something in a recent update.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Okay, yep, this is some pretty unexpected behavior. I'll add this to the list of fixes for the next version... we'll get the different curl modes to behave more consistently with each other as well. Thanks for reporting!

rlvelocity

Post by rlvelocity » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks for the quick investigation. I hope you all don't get too overwhelmed dealing with a constantly moving target (non-stop changes to the mother program). Speaking of which, it's a bummer about the current state of Preview Falloff only working on sprites instead of geometry. Would it help for all of us to carpet bomb Sidefx with requests to patch their viewport? :D Sounds like it has been this way for months. I'm sending a bug report/request to them now.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 pm

We've been hammering SESI with a combination of requests, reports, and bribes, but it's just not at the top of their list after the big release. I'm really hoping to get it fixed soon, too, but in the meantime all we can do is wait it out...