Spring Modifier exploding object [RESOLVED]

Post detailed bug reports here, along with HIP files whenever possible. Do not post feature requests!
Tronotrond

Spring Modifier exploding object [RESOLVED]

Post by Tronotrond » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi!

I might have come across some sort of bug in the attached file.
I have an object I split/clip in half, animated each part individually and merged back together. If I fuse the points back together before the Spring Modifier, half of the object explodes. Of course, I can fuse it back together after the Spring Modifier, but figured I'd report it just in case.

I deleted all attributes, and I've been trying to figure out why this is happening, but diving into the Spring Modifier I can only make a guess that perhaps there's some magic intrinsics values that comes into play :lol:

Otherwise, thanks for a great collection of tools you're making!
Attachments
leafUnfold.zip
Hip file
(38.63 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Spring Modifier exploding object

Post by toadstorm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:57 pm

What's happening here is that the Spring modifier doesn't like that your point count is changing, since it's using point numbers to figure out spring forces. Additionally, even when I tweak the modifier to use ID attributes instead of point numbers to match points, since not all of the points exist on the first frame, you end up with new points that aren't sure where to go. I'll keep this fix in MOPs for the next version, but it still won't help you with this specific problem.

My best advice here is to just skip the fuse until after your Spring Modifier is done.

Tronotrond

Re: Spring Modifier exploding object

Post by Tronotrond » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Ahh.. yeah, makes sense. It didn't strike me as it would change in this scenario, but thanks for the clarification!