MOPs won't render on farm

Post detailed bug reports here, along with HIP files whenever possible. Do not post feature requests!
Byter

MOPs won't render on farm

Post by Byter » Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 pm

MOPs more specificly with spring, I got only black frames, without any errors. Also when I open the scene it starts calculating, but when it's finished nothing show up, only after I push the reset simulation button and I let it resim everything shows what it's supposed to.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: MOPs won't render on farm

Post by toadstorm » Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Unfortunately, because the Spring solver is a simulation, you need to cache the results of your simulation to disk before submitting to a render farm. A simple File Cache SOP would be enough, as long as you're caching to a location that the farm has access to.

Byter

Post by Byter » Wed May 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey!

So further investigating the issue, it seems via command line I'm not able to cache the geo with spring. If I simply cache it inside of houdini than it works, but even when I wan't to do it in the background I got nothing. I think this is the issue too when trying to render on the farm. It runnes in command line.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Wed May 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure that this is a MOPs-specific problem that I can help you with. My advice, if you don't want to cache the geometry in an interactive session, is to set up a Geometry ROP that caches the geo, then make the Redshift or Mantra ROP dependent on that job in your output network, and make sure that the entire Geometry ROP job runs to completion on a single machine before the render job starts.