Falloff to affect move along spline orientation

Have ideas for new MOPs, or modifying features or interfaces of existing MOPs? Post your thoughts here!
vfxarabia

Falloff to affect move along spline orientation

Post by vfxarabia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:17 pm

The point is I have a couple of books arranged on shelves and I dont want their orientation to change until the falloff kicks in, so using (MOPs_Move_Along_Spline) when I check Align to Curve it overrides the falloff and the instances just go crazy. I tried extract and apply attributes to blend between the two states (on shelves and on spline) but didnt work.
Am I doing anything wrong or it's suppose to work this way and is it possible to add this as a feature please, thanx.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: Falloff to affect move along spline orientation

Post by toadstorm » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:08 pm

If you wanted to do this manually with Apply Attributes, you'd just need to make sure that you used Extract Attributes on the source packed primitives first, before plugging them into the second input of the Apply Attributes. This way the p@orient attribute is created for Apply Attributes to read. You'd probably also want to disable scale or set the Scale Mode to "Set".

That said, I just pushed an Experimental patch for you. This adds a toggle to Move Along Spline that allows you to affect rotations with mops_falloff. You can use the Updater shelf tool or download the new release here: https://github.com/toadstorm/MOPS/releases/tag/v0.1.60e

vfxarabia

Post by vfxarabia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 am

Thank you so much because I tried the extract attribute method and strangely it's not blending them right, I'll give it a try but once I finish this project because yesterday I installed the experimental v0.1.59 to try the trail but the instancer messed up my random books distribution, I was mixing between 10 books and now they are ordered from 1 to 10 on the shelves instead of being random (well it's a nice feature to have but not in this situation :D ) so I had to go back to a stable version.

By the way the trail generator is exporting only points not polygons and I couldn't make the length option to work only length by duration duration worked also it's not inheriting the parent id (or any other attribute) for me to connect them later using an add sop (it would be great if this node has an option to export polygons also).

It's supper amazing what you are doing here guys, normally such tasks I would go with cebas Thinking particles to achieve, but you made it supper easy in Houdini, hats off ❤️️

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Ahhh... that's a lot of issues all at once. It would be very helpful if you could post hip files along with any bugs you're encountering, so that I can see the exact situation you're dealing with.

vfxarabia

Post by vfxarabia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Sorry for the mess, okay I will try to organize my thoughts and post them with hip files.