ramp for the goal u in (move along spline)

Have ideas for new MOPs, or modifying features or interfaces of existing MOPs? Post your thoughts here!
vfxarabia

ramp for the goal u in (move along spline)

Post by vfxarabia » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:00 pm

I needed my instances to move along spline slow at the beginning and to be faster later, a Bezier falloff can do the trick but on a global scale, the problem is my instances are catching up with the spline at different times so I thought it would be great if I can remap the u value on the curve using a ramp.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: ramp for the goal u in (move along spline)

Post by toadstorm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 pm

When you say you want to remap the u value, do you mean the Goal U parameter? What would it be remapped based on?

You can customize more complex behaviors by using VEXpressions for the goalU... I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do in your specific case, but does that give you enough control over the speed?

vfxarabia

Post by vfxarabia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 am

Thanx for the reply, well exactly, the u value is based on the point order on the curve (the attribute that's generated by resample) so if I can remap it to a ramp from 0-1 this way I can control the speed of instances, I tried to add a ramp to the vex part you introduced there but there is no "Create spare parameters" button to create it, I can only add some function like Bias and Gain but not much of control.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at...

This feature was already built into the "Solver" mode of MOPs Move Along Spline as the "Acceleration Ramp" parameter. I've just added a similar control to the "Simple" mode of MOPs Move Along Spline... this remaps whatever goalU is chosen to the curve. It's in the latest Experimental release, v0.1.62e. Let me know if this gives you enough control.

vfxarabia

Post by vfxarabia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Many thanx for taking our thoughts seriously and implementing them.