update button not working after changing to package install

Ask questions about how to do XY using MOPs
ronald_a

update button not working after changing to package install

Post by ronald_a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 am

trying to update to another version gives me the following error.

---------------------------
Error installing update!
---------------------------
Error installing update:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/MOPS/scripts/python\mops_updater.py", line 336, in apply
install_path = extract_update(dl)
File "C:/MOPS/scripts/python\mops_updater.py", line 151, in extract_update
distutils.dir_util.copy_tree(actual_path, install_path)
File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\distutils\dir_util.py", line 163, in copy_tree
verbose=verbose, dry_run=dry_run))
File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\distutils\dir_util.py", line 163, in copy_tree
verbose=verbose, dry_run=dry_run))
File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\distutils\dir_util.py", line 139, in copy_tree
mkpath(dst, verbose=verbose)
File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\distutils\dir_util.py", line 76, in mkpath
"could not create '%s': %s" % (head, exc.args[-1]))
DistutilsFileError: could not create 'C:\MOPS\otls\MOPS_Aim.hda': Eine Datei kann nicht erstellt werden, wenn sie bereits vorhanden ist

This only seems to happen since changing to the package install workflow.

Moving the install location (and changing the json file accordingly) seems to get rid of the problem - so an update works. but trying to do another update produces this error. it almost looks like some sort of access restriction that is created by the update process itself.

Any idea why this happens?

Thanks,

Ronny

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: update button not working after changing to package install

Post by toadstorm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 pm

This is a new one... can you please share the contents of your json package file? Also, did you remove any relevant MOPs entries from your houdini.env file?

What operating system are you running?

ronald_a

Post by ronald_a » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 am

{
"env": [
{
"MOPS": "C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/MOPS"
},
],
"path": "$MOPS"

}

I took that JSON from the experimental release, because the one from the stable build would give me (yet another) error.

double checked that there are not remnants of the old MOPS entries in houdini.env. win10 (workstation edition)

ronald_a

Post by ronald_a » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 am

I also temporarily moved the MOPS folder to the root of my drive just to make sure there is no access restriction going on from the windows side (because in programs you need to have administration rights to do stuff). worked one time and then I had the same error.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 pm

This is almost certainly a permissions issue. Try a clean install of any version from GitHub and direct it to a non-system-protected path. Anywhere in your user directory would be fine. The files you currently have likely inherited restricted permissions from the original install directory, so copying them won't work unless you manually change their permissions bits.

ronald_a

Post by ronald_a » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm

ok, so here is the thing.

I put everything into my documents folder and had the same stuff happening. works the first time and then it stops. then is saw that part of the updateprocess was collapsing the hdas (I don't even know what the advantages of collaped/expanded hdas are, but anyways). So I expanded the hdas with the button and then the update works. So the solution is to expand the hdas before doing the update. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I think I remember just hitting update and it would work.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Hm, really? Okay, I'll test this on my end and see if it's the collapsing that's the problem.

The HDAs on GitHub are stored in expanded format, meaning they're essentially folders full of text files. This is because Git handles text way better than binaries for purposes of differentiating and merging changes. The collapse feature turns those folders back into binaries. It's done because there are tons of files in there, and this can cause Houdini's startup time to increase dramatically, especially when the installation directory is on a network share.

I'll run a few tests and get back to you if I can replicate this bug.

ronald_a

Post by ronald_a » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm

great, but I wouldn't care too much about it because it seems nobody else is having this issue (i have it on another very similar machine like mine here as well though) and it might have something to do with our configuration here. there is an easy enough workaround, so don't worry about it.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Okay, this is definitely a bug, and it was specific to having your asset definitions in "compressed" format. The updater was getting confused when trying to overwrite compressed definitions with the expanded ones downloaded from Github. I've just released a new Stable build that should fix this problem. If you use the Expand HDAs shelf tool and THEN update, it should work. Or just do a clean install. Sorry about that!

https://github.com/toadstorm/MOPS/releases/tag/v0.1.66

ronald_a

Post by ronald_a » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 am

Sorry to report that I just did a clean install with v0.1.66 and it still wouldn't work. Still seems to have the same issue.