instancer for pops?

Have ideas for new MOPs, or modifying features or interfaces of existing MOPs? Post your thoughts here!
neuron

instancer for pops?

Post by neuron » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Hey guys,

not sure if I am missing something, but somehow I can't get the instancer to work on pops (instead of a mesh).

I tried mesh and points, but it only instances on some of the particles.

Will this be implemented in the future or am I just not getting how to do it with the current version?

thanks a lot for all ur work. MOPS are a great addition to Houdini.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Re: instancer for pops?

Post by toadstorm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Try setting the mesh distribution type to "points", and enable "flood mesh". This will generate enough instances to cover every point in your particle system.

It might be even faster to use the Instancer to generate the maximum number of Instances you'd need in any arrangement, and then use Apply Attributes after the fact to push them into the right transforms (the particles would go into the second input). The Instancer is much faster if it's not time dependent.

I'm working on a new simplified Instancer that will hopefully be a bit more straightforward to use...

neuron

Post by neuron » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 pm

DOH!

I figured it was something stupid I wasn't doing right.

I had mesh type to points, but forgot I had to set the amount of instances - my bad, sorry.

toadstorm
Site Admin

Post by toadstorm » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm

It's not really as intuitive as it should be. I'm working on a new Instancer that should hopefully be a lot more powerful and straightforward to use... and about twice as fast. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

neuron

Post by neuron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:53 am

sounds great! Thanks again for all your work!